The Carmel was introduced in 1966 in Le Grand, California. Actually a member of the California type varieties, the Carmel has become popular enough to warrant its own classification.
A soft-shell variety, Carmel almonds are often used for blanching and roasting. Because they are easily processed, Carmel types are often substituted for both Nonpareil and California.
This classification includes a number of varieties that are blanchable and used primarily in manufactured products.
These California-type almonds have a wide range of shell hardness, kernel shapes, skin color, and surface characteristics. As a result, they are quite adaptable and well suited for nearly any process or application
Here are some interesting facts about Carmel almonds as mentioned by the Almond Board of California:.
- Medium, narrow shape with a slightly wrinkled surface
- Harvested 25-30 days after Nonpareil Soft shell
- They have good shell integrity and fair suture opening
- Ideal for baking, candy
- Premium Quality
- Guaranteed Freshness
- Packaged the day you order
- Naturally Fresh Foods
- 100% natural Carmel California almonds
- Prized for their superior size and taste
- No preservatives; no artificial ingredients
- Kosher certified
- Certified Gluten-free